Thursday, May 29, 2008

What's in your freezer? - Glow in the dark ice cubes


When you meet that special someone and decide to make them an important part of your life, you tend not to notice little things that may seem odd. You even hope they can overlook the things that make you a little weird. One of the main things I really liked about my wife was she shared my interest in science. Flipping rocks in a riverbed to see what crawled out was common date fare.
That being said, after almost 20 years of marriage, we still flip river rocks but I am still surprised by things I find in my refrigerator that aren't food related. I've had many different 'projects' chilling on the shelf next to the milk. I'm afraid to toss things out and I think the kids are so used to it, it's normal to them to have glasses of crystals growing or other 'Mom's stuff'.
This week, it's been in the freezer. She's been trying to make clear ice cubes to photograph for About Chemistry. Along the way, while working on another project involving tonic water and mentos fountains she got the idea of making tonic water ice cubes. So what? you may ask...turns out the quinine in tonic water glows under a black light. If tonic water glows, why not frozen tonic water? As you can see from the picture, the ice cubes glow just fine. Click over to the site to find out more about them and another picture.
What do you have in your freezer?

No comments: